Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Flood Attack

From: J Edgar Hoover <zorch () RIGHTEOUS NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:56:10 -0700

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, J. Oquendo wrote:

My view on writing this was; If I sent neighborDEE bad data as
neighborDUMB, somewhere down the line neighborDUMB is either going to

a) crash using up uneccessary resources (imagine this attack distributed)
b) lag to death and if logging was enabled... choke
c) ignore neighborDEE (killing the neighbor connection)
d) e-mail me a reply back with a relevant RFC showing me why this attack
wouldn't work.

There is no RFC on flooding. IRC seems to be the definitive reference ;]

Floods are generally effective for one of two reasons, they consume
bandwidth, or they consume resources on the target.

Daemonic at first seems to be a simple flooder which is only effective if
you have a wide pipe to your target. Each packet simply doesn't consume
much of the target's resources, so you need a huge volume of packets.

One weakness in many routers is that multicast uses much more cpu than
normal unicast traffic. Using a multicast source address with Daemonic has
had surprising effects with very low flood rates.