Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Non-Mathmatical Forging of PKI Digital Certificates /Throwing Rocks at the PKI

From: Dener Martins <dener () SERPRO GOV BR>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:56:13 -0300

oops, sorry. I missed the first messages of this thread.

Nevertheless, there is something that I should have said before. Other
private CAs are beginning to operate in Brazil. Since the government is
still a good client, and a big market itself, those CAs will follow the
same procedures established by the federal government, in order to be
certified by public authorities as being "trustworthy".

This whole story has also a bigger goal, Mercosul. Mercosul is the open
trade agreement between Brazil, Agentina, Uruguai, among other contries.
These first laws about certificates are being developed to create
conditions for E-commerce in South America, ie, trading between private
companies (B2B). As Bruce Schneier said before, PKI isn't solution for
all security problems. Probably, other mechanisms will have to be
created, so national and international B2B can happen in a safer way.

Regards,
D.
--
Dener Martins