Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

[Fwd: 22 *potential* Windows 2000 holes]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:47:01 -0700

Vamprella wrote:

My mail server at home is wacky. I don't know if this post got to the list.
Please post if it didn't.
Thanks,
Vamprella

"This list exists to allow people to report potential or undeveloped holes.
 The idea is to help people who lack expertise, time, or information about
how to exploit a hole do so." So, I have all these ideas about potential
W2K holes. But, I don't know where to go after the theory part so I'm
posting here. Since I've had this stuff around for awhile, if it doesn't
all make sense, forgive me. Please be warned that some of these ideas seem
really evil. They are just theories and I'd prefer to announce them to
Microsoft and post on BugTraq if any of them come to fruition, than do
anything harmful because I love and respect computers. Anyway, here are
just a *few* ideas. I hope this isn't complete information overload.This
should keep everyone busy for a couple of days.

1. Reboot Active Directory Restore in recovery mode. It's possible the
password is blank. Remotely reboot Active directory is the password is
blank. Insert a new domain admin account, reboot again with the normal
admin account. This should take only 5 minutes and other than the
start-up/shutdown logs, no one would know (there wouldn't be any way to
trace it).

2. Why can't MS throw out pirate software with mods such as /cmd: during
installation so they know who is using the pirated software? What about
companies that use pirated software but have actual licenses?

3. Is it possible to add yourself to the Global Catalog and automatically
have transitive trusts? In order to add yourself to the Global Directory
from outside the network, you have to have rights and hack an account
first. Are there any default accounts that can be used?

4. One huge company is connected to another huge company. Everyone has
access to everything. The original hacker gets away in the mass confusion.
Even if it's caught right away, the replications between the different
Domain Controllers will take some time. This will be enough time to really
screw things up.
5. Make a duplicate SID, make the USN higher than the original. Run
Security account management in ntdsutil (@ command prompt) to get rid of
duplicate SID clean up and manage the Security Account Database. You now
have access.

6. what are the qualities/components to establish that one computer trusts
another? Is it possible to spoof  trust? What is the weakest link? Attack
that weakest link to do the spoof.

7. Is is possible to force a Full Zone transfer?
Make client serial number lower than the serial number of the oldest
version of the zone on the server. Would the number 1 work? Is there a
checksum or any other type of redundancy checking going on?
If the server responding to the IXFR doesn't recognize the query type, the
client can initiate an AXFR. So, just initiate an AXFR.
This will give you IP addresses and Host names. Yippee! Can any IP address
requests the zone transfer info from the master server or must they be on
the zone database file? How can a client spoof them self on the zone
database file and then request a full zone transfer? May only work on W2K
professional. All other versions of W2K, the zone data is stored as an
active directory object.
How would you change the serial number of the IXFR request?

8. The more it's automated, the easier it is to break! DNS Dynamic update
protocol. Updates DNS servers automatically so resource records can be
updated w/o administrator intervention. Could there be a possible buffer
overflow to write-in your IP address? Or, grab an IP on the network using
DHCP. Is DHCP still used? Only secure updates is when  Active Directory is
installed. W2K professional doesn't come with Active Directory. Otherwise,
the zone and the resource records can be modified by users w/o
authorization. This means ALL W2K professional machines.
9.  How hard would it be to make a 'trojan' Active Directory? It sounds
like it's similar to PC Anywhere. If it uses a consistent management
interface, can't we just copy that and spoof as if we're the Domain Admin?
Would this bypass the username/password since only the Domain Admin would
have access to the management of the Active directory. Since you can
"monitor " routers, can you get in through the routers (since the
monitoring must send TCP/IP packets back and forth) and then bypass any/all
firewalls or get info from the network. Do routers sit outside the
firewalls? Is so, it's a great way to get packets into the secured network.
Once in active directory as an admin, does it continue to verify credentials?
10. With using Active Directory, may have to break Kerberos V.5 or x.509
certificates which may be tough. Unless, you get into Active Directory
after the certificate information is passed and before the 'good stuff' is
presented. Something similar to TCP/IP piggyback or TCP/IP hijacking. Can a
man in the middle attack be done between the authorization of the Kerberos
Certificate and when the other information is passed?

11. With transitive trusts, is it possible that all computers can link to
each other until eventually, everyone is trusting everyone and we're really
all on one BIG network. Ah, we can dream, can't we? Won't this make
security fun if everything is completely open?

12. Is it possible to write a program (like looking for MX records in DNS)
to get a mail server, ldap server, etc. Then, it could be put in a nice
graphical interface.

13. Can you spoof being a domain controller on the network?
14. Figure out the Knowledge consistency checker and break it. Starts every
time the machine is started. Put in info and when the machine is rebooted,
the trojan Knowledge consistency checker will run.

15. How would one get into the Bridge Head Servers?

16. KCC promotes one machine to be the Inter ..... topology ..... That
means if you have access to that, you'll have access to the topology of the
network.

17. Publishing Software - Document Invocation - Starts application when
unknown file type is double-clicked on. Isn't this the same problem with
the ILY.vbs virus?

18. There's no audit trail on Software deployment

19. Terminal server Licenses aren't ever checked against the License
Server. If you reinstall the license server, isn't it like having 50 new
licenses to assign?

20. Can we write a program that sets dial-up-networking to always call back
to a specific number? It would bring down the company's remote access for a
little while but would be really annoying to the victim's home number.
Imagine a computer calling again and again and again. And, if it's traced,
it won't come from your number and can't be traced back to you.

21. With implementing Connection Sharing, put a trojan on the other
computer than just wait until the target computer connects to you and lets
you have access to the network.

22. With Remote Installation Services, how does it know the computer is
*really* on the network when it downloads the information to a new machine?
There are 4 things that are needed, this is a possible way of getting
around this.
DNS Records - do a full zone transfer mentioned above
DHCP - Steal an IP or hijack an address.
Active Directory - Can install it on the machine
Answer file - make your own on a floppy and trojan it into the network (if
it's downloading from the network).

Your Best Friend,
Vamprella
---