Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 677 oddity: Broadcasting to port 1999

From: Vladimir Kraljevich <vlaad () EMPRESARIUM COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:28:11 -0000

Now, the interesting thing of course is: What would have
happened if
there was actually another Cisco router present that would
answer to
this broadcast. Would my ADSL router start sending traffic
to the
other router, or what is the purpose of this broadcast ?

AFAIK, the purpose of this broadcast is just syslog,
nothing more.

You can make it (if you have access to CBOS) to point to
arbitrary address on the net, sending those messages to
arbitrary port on the listening machine.

Nobody in normal situation should answer to this message,
since it is dedicated for debugging purposes only, to show
administrators what is going wrong. Even if you try to
simulate response from the another "router" nothing should
happen. However, some reports reveals that in certain
circumstances you can bring down the Cisco 6xx (perhaps few
other types, too) by flooding syslog.

/********* IMPORTANT??? ***********

From my experience, it is possible to nail a coffin to
Cisco 677 with ICMP request in which IPOPT_RR is set.
Someone, please confirm this.

I wrote to CCO, but they wanted my ID, SSN, dog's name,
mother's maiden name, photographies of my family, my
footprint, my fingerprints etc. to be able to submit these
informations. I'm not in the mood to cooperate on that way
with someone who is responsible to deal with his faults.
However, public deserves to know :)

(from command line type:)

ping -r 9 216.32.74.55

**********************************/

Your traffic cannot be sent this way to anyone.

The thing you should really be worried about (check your
router with Nmap) is existance of wide open TFTP, WWW and
telnet remote adminstration access points.

root>show broadcast
Directed_Broadcast Forwarding is currently enabled

root>show syslog
SYSLOG Configuration
Currently Enabled
Currently sends syslog information to yy.yy.yy.yy
Currently uses port xxxxx

root>show telnet
TELNET Configuration
Currently Enabled
Currently accepts connections only from yy.yy.yy.yy
Currently uses port xxxxx
Timeout is set to 3600

root>show web
WEB Configuration
Is not enabled
Currently accepts connections only from yy.yy.yy.yy
Currently uses port xxxxx

root>show tftp
TFTP Configuration
Is not enabled
Currently accepts connections only from yy.yy.yy.yy
Currently uses port 69

You can also use "debug" (undocumented for 677) command,
but only in privileged mode; It allows you to look closer
what is going on.

<example from my CCO>

08/08/2000 02:50:19"734, 82 bytes from yy.yy.yy.yy
<03>000:15:23:15 TCP        Alarm      MTU value returned
by get_ip_mtu was zero

</example from my CCO>

Hope this helps.