Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: tcp port 20445 is open after napster 2.0 beta install (win98 and winME)

From: "Jon O." <jono () MICROSHAFT ORG>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:00:59 -0700

It appears that we do not have enough information about this to know
exactly what we are dealing with.

First, we need the specific build number of your napster install.

Next, we need checksums on the executable to make sure we are working with
the same file and not a trojaned one downloaded from who knows where.

As far as tracking sockets and program execution, there is a tool called
Socket Spy which I have found helpful. It allows you to attach to a
executable and records all the sockets calls. Also, there are some tools
called NTFilemon and NTRegmon which I have found helpful when looking for
trojans. Filemon shows the raw disk read/writes of all running
applications and Regmon shows application's hook into the Registry. These
are good tools every security person (dealing with MS) should know and
love.

NTFilemon/Regmon was put out by ntinternals.com but that site is now gone.

Turns out the same guys have been hard at work and created even more tools
including a socket monitor.

Find them here:
http://www.winternals.com
http://www.win-tech.com

I suggest that the person who has the Napster install with these strange
ports run these programs and provide copies of his executable to people
who would like to find out what is going on.

Thanks,
Jon

http://www.networkcommand.com

PSA: Use *BSD -- it's better.