Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: History Files

From: bgriffin () CDDB COM (Benjamin Elijah Griffin)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:57:50 -0700

gavina () CSIS GVSU EDU wrote:
On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, audit wrote:
I admin a few Linux servers and have a question about user's .bash_history
files. The users on the systems keep their history files but I would like
to have what they type logged to /root/history/$user_history
tail -f /home/user/.bash_history > /root/history/user.history

Even if the user has "HISTFILESIZE=0", it will still output the history
when the user logs out.

:r! cd; ls -l .bash_history
lrwxrwxrwx   1 bgriffin bgriffin        9 Jul  1  1999 .bash_history -> /dev/null

And if I knew that bash was patched to syslog everything, I could
run another shell. Then it becomes the usual escalation battle.
Unless the users have or can get root, this sort of accounting
is probably only reliable in the kernel.

Benjamin