Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Controlling a program's resource usage on Unix

From: sarnold () WILLAMETTE EDU (Seth R Arnold)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 11:19:35 -0700

* Bernie Cosell <bernie () FANTASYFARM COM> [000416 08:48]:
I don't know how [or even if it is possible!] to limit the _execution_
profile of the program.  /proc does give me some metrics on
processor/memory use by a proc and its children, but it looks like a
simple double-fork will defeat that [with the double-forked-children

It of course depends on what operating system you are using, and (for
some OSs) which distribution. For solaris, a line in /etc/system is all
you need. I think the BSDs are the same way. My linux distribution
(debian woody) has some files under /etc/security/ that likely do the
job through PAM.

:)

--
Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help