Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: 2 dodgy network programs

From: gbayley () AUSMAC NET (Grant Bayley)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:24:02 +1000

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 11:22:02 +0100
From: Antonomasia <ant () NOTATLA DEMON CO UK>
Subject: 2 dodgy network programs

I was just visiting  http://www.echelon.wiretapped.net and downloaded a
small file called "tcplog.c" with no author or version stated.  It is for
logging connections to your box (linux only).

There are some minor coding gripes I could make, but line 107
takes a risk with the size of a hostname

Just for the purpose of noting the original source of the file (I operate
the WireTapped site), this particular file came from:

ftp://ftp.technotronic.com/unix/protocol-loggers/tcplog.c

Short of actually removing the file, I've added this information and a
cautionary note of the problem at line 107 to the file on wiretapped.net

Also I want to mention DeleGate-5.9.3 (at www.echelon.wiretapped.net and
elsewhere, in versions for Linux, AIX etc).
Luc Stepniewski <lstep () mail dotcom fr> drew attention to this in April
1999
for having very many string operations without bounds checking.
Although I made it dump core

The home page for this is at:

        http://wall.etl.go.jp/delegate/

Having seen this posting, I've now updated the DeleGate file on WireTapped
to 5.9.5, the current version:

        http://the.wiretapped.net/security/firewalls/delegate5.9.5.tar.gz

Hope this adequately addresses the problems you've raised,

Grant

Grant Bayley                         gbayley () ausmac net
- IT Manager, Batey Kazoo (www.kazoo.com.au)
- Administrator, The AusMac Archive (www.ausmac.net)
- Webmaster/Organiser, 2600 Australia (www.2600.org.au)