Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Window manager - implementation bug/feature ???

From: jim () JTAN COM (Jim Paris)
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 01:42:49 -0400

But still, unless I missed it, he never said that WAS his cd-rom..
Even though most OEM machines come with CDROM on master secondary (hdc)..

The messages I've seen on this topic seem to be implying that it's a bad
thing for it to give read/write permission to /dev/hdc in case that's
not the CD-ROM.  Valid point, but have you ever considered the (highly
likely) possibility that the permissions were actually set on
/dev/cdrom, which would happen to be symlinked to whatever device is
your actual CD-ROM?  The fact that the permissions were changed on
/dev/hdc on one machine doesn't mean that /dev/hdc would get touched on
others..

-jim