Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ICQ 2000

From: bernie () FANTASYFARM COM (Bernie Cosell)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:15:37 -0400

On 27 Oct 99, at 3:19, Brad Griffin wrote:

I took the easy way out and sent a copy of ICQ2000 to Kapersky labs in
Russia about 3 hrs ago. They replied just now informing that it is a
trojan and uses ICQ mail to do its dirty work.

What, exactly, does it do?  --- sorry to be dumb about this, but 'trojan'
means too many different things to different people for me to be sure
what you mean here.  Does it provide a backdoor to folk to access your
system?  Can they do *ANYTHING* via that back door?

[I guess what I'm saying here is that the way I use the terminology, it
was obvious it was a trojan: since it pretended to be an ICQ beta and
clearly wasn't and did _something_ [my definition of a trojan]... what
I'm not clear on is what *payload* the trojan delivered...  Thanks!

  /Bernie\

--
mailto:bernie () fantasyfarm com     Pearisburg, VA