Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

[Fwd: INZIDER!]

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:50:10 -0800

"Joe L. White" wrote:

in the documentation for inzider, it clearly states that the program may need to be run more than once in order to
detect all bound ports. i have found mixed results (inconsistent) as to how many processes are detected in each
subsequent run of the program.

original website for tool:  http://www.bahnhof.se/~winnt/toolbox/inzider/
current website:  http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/inzider/

from the documentation posted at the website:

What is inzider?

This is a very useful tool which lists the current processes in your Windows system and the ports each one listen on.
It is written to work on Windows NT and
Windows 9x, and I know of no other program which does what inzider does. There have been some stability problems on
Windows 9x, which I thought were
solved but were still left although not as frequent. In the new version (1.2) I have done a few changes to improve
both stability and reliability. I guess there is
still much left to wish for, but over all I think inzider is a success, and it's quite popular despite the problems.
On Windows NT, inzider is still unable to check
processes which are started as services. Yet, it's very useful - for example, check out this page about inzider vs.
bo2k (Back Orifice 2000). Keep your eyes
open in the future, there will most likely come new improved versions.

How do I use this tool?

Download the install program file and run it. The install program is created with the freeware (for non commercial
use) GkSetup written by Gero Kühn. After
installation, run inzider from the Start menu. It will take some seconds and then you will see a list of processes
and which ports they listen on. Sometimes all
processes aren't listed on the first try. If this happens, close the program and restart it. Repeat this until all
processes are shown (which usually takes at
most 2-3 tries). To minimize the risks of experiencing problems, please save all unsaved work before running inzider.
Also close any valuable documents
and similar that you have open. After you finish using inzider, reboot the system to guarantee it's stability.

also, an faq for the tool is posted here:

http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/inzider/faq.shtml

hope this helps,

joe

<<<>>>