Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Possible DoS attack against Microsoft SQL Server 7.0

From: kbelian () BUSINESS-SOFT COM (kbelian)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:24:13 +0200

Hi,
Excuse me if this has been already reported (though I couldn't find relevant information).
MS SQL Server 7.0 silently crashes when sent a TCP packet containing more than 2 NULLs as data.

I tested this on a machine running SQL Server version 7.00.699. The NT box is running NT Server with SP 4 (I don't
think the Service Pack is an issue since NT is not affected).
If the TCP/IP net library is enabled, the 3 or greater NULL bytes crach SQL Server listening on port 1433. The SQL
server raises an event 17055 with fatal exception EXCEPTION_ACCESS VIOLATION.

Can anyone reproduce this?

It's interesting to mention that:
    - 1 or 2 NULL bytes don't affect the system.
    - A nornal service restart will reboot SQL Server

Thanx.
Kevork Belian

<!-- body="end" -->
<HR>

<UL>
<LI><STRONG>Next message:</STRONG> m4rcyS: "Re: vlock bug ?  (fwd)"
<LI><STRONG>Previous message:</STRONG> Blue Boar: "Re: INZIDER!"
</UL>
<HR>

<SMALL>