Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: lanma256.bmp/lanmannt.bmp security risk?

From: marc () MUCOM CO IL (Marc Esipovich)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:11:10 +0200

Having followed the thread on rtf exploits, I wonderd if there might be any other service which could be vulnerable
under NT.
Probably ;)

One thing that struck me, is the .bmp that is displayed when Windows NT 4 boots (the one which says "Windows NT
Workstation/Server" and is displayed under the logon box). What would happen if it is malformed, and NT is unable to
display it? Buffer overflow - with arbitrary code execution? BSOD?
Maybe, who knows,  try it out,  but I can assure you, it won't be as
trivial as in rtf.

My knowledge of exploits stretches no further than this. However, I can just imagine the implications, should it be a
security risk. I haven't seen any posts or found any other information regarding this - so maybe it's a non-issue. Or
maybe not...
The point of my reply is this, any file/program/code/whatever a user can
modify and a system service (or daemon, or any higher privilege program)
might use, is a potential problem

At least, when running NT with NTFS, your FS permissions should be strict
enough not to allow regular users access to files he/she doesn't really
need access to (ie, own).

        Marc Esipovich.

--
root is only a few clicks away...