Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BSD chfn bug

From: stany () PET NOTBSD ORG (Stanislav N. Vardomskiy)
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 17:02:51 -0500

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Warner Losh wrote:
At best you can get a file in /etc/ that is owned by yourself.

This just *might* be a problem.
I have been patching ssh lately, building and rebuilding it over and over
again, and it seems that ssh can be affected by a number of files in
/etc/, some of which are not present by default in all OSes.  For
instance, just doing a quick `strings` on /usr/local/sbin/sshd comes up
with:
/etc/environment
/etc/sshrc
that are not there by default in many OSes.  At the same time when
you build SSH, it links by default -DTIS_MAP_FILE=\"/etc/sshd_tis.map\"

Lastly, a simplest denial of service, creating /etc/nologin can disrupt
the service.

Signed:
//Stany

--
+-------+ Stanislav N Vardomskiy - Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis[TM] +-------+
| "Backups we have; it's restores that we find tricky." Richard Letts at ASR  |