Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: PHP

From: MSTOREY () UK IBM COM (Matt Storey)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:14:29 +0000

Safe mode runs with the minimum amount of drivers, thus intailing you to fix
whatever problems the the system has been experiencing for example if it has
been having problems with a driver of a program at startup that keeps "Blue
Screening" then you run it in safe mode so the driver/program does not run,
which allows you to see a GUI and fix the appropriate driver/problem.  The
features of Safe mode are endless.

Loops are a problem due to the fact that they are so easily created by a program
that needs certain parameters to run and safe mode does not supply them, which
in turn it goes off in its own merry way eating CPU utilizations and memory
until the machine either crashes or the user switches off...

Unfortunatly, if this is a server and it has a reason to be run in safe mode
then it can cause no end of problems.

There are no security parameters in safe mode so i believe (i could be wriong)
so it could one or 2 problems with people using the machine to no end...

Matt.

Regards

Matt Storey,
Network Computer Division EMEA
Internet - http://www.ibm.com/nc

Darkcyde <jk () DAC ORG> on 01/12/99 12:00:22

Please respond to Darkcyde <jk () DAC ORG>