tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: HP-UX support and portability

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:08:32 -0700

On Mar 12, 2024, at 2:07 PM, Rick Jones via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

If https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-UX#Version_history is any indication,
there are ~21 months left on HP's (er, sorry, HPE's) own support for HP-UX.

As far as I know, now that Itania are no longer being manufactured and shipped, and given that HPE haven't, as far as I
know, shown any sign of plans to port HP-UX to x86-64, the future is something like "no more HP-UX, just the ability to
run HP-UX Itanium binaries on x86-64 Linux with binary-to-binary translation and either HP-UX system call emulation or
HP-UX shared library call emulation".

I can't find much to indicate the details of the strategy, except that it involves "Linux containers" in some fashion;
if one of those particular "Linux containers" won't run native Linux/x86-64 applications and emulated HP-UX/Itanium
apps in parallel, maybe there'd be some demand for the HP-UX tcpdump running in a container; otherwise, running a Linux
tcpdump using Linux libpcap would probably be the future.