tcpdump mailing list archives

CI news January-May 2023

From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 14:39:18 +0100

Hello all.

I hope this finds you well.  Below you can find a digest of the CI
infrastructure improvements since the previous update.

Since almost the beginning of this Buildbot setup about two years ago
sysmocom (https://sysmocom.de/) hosted some AArch64 Buildbot worker
hosts on their own RPI hardware and infrastructure.  Over this time
this supported approximately 1500 CI builds of tcpdump, libpcap and
tcpslice in total, which made it possible to eliminate many bugs.
Unfortunately, due to hardware problems it became impossible to
continue, but let's say a big thank you to sysmocom folks.  Their help
was much appreciated and contributed to the development.

These AArch64 workers have been rebuilt on my RPI hardware and joined a
group of MIPS64, ARMv7l and RISC-V workers that I have been hosting for
about as long.  The size of this assorted lot of hardware motivated me
to look for a more appropriate place for it, and eventually UK
Dedicated Servers Ltd (https://www.ukservers.com/) offered to sponsor
colocation in their data centre.  The migration is nearly complete, so
hopefully my local power and ISP outages will be out of scope for a
while.

And, of course, there were the usual OS and package upgrades.  Notably,
15 and 16 are now the most common versions of Clang, but libpcap used
to produce an odd compiler warning on these versions.  Thanks to a
recent workaround by Guy this is now back to normal and any new warnings
will be in the feedback loop.

* illumos-amd64, thanks to being maintained by the OmniOS project, is
  now runnning the latest stable release of OmniOS (r151046), which
  made it the first Buildbot worker to run Clang 16.0 (was 15.0).
* freebsd-aarch64 has been upgraded from FreeBSD 13.1 to 13.2, which
  among other things upgraded Clang from 15.0 to 16.0.
* On netbsd-aarch64 pkgsrc has been upgraded from 2022Q3 to 2023Q1,
  which among other thing upgraded Clang from 14.0 to 15.0.
* On netbsd-amd64 Clang has been upgraded from 13.0 to 15.0.
* openbsd-aarch64 has been upgraded from OpenBSD 6.9 to 7.3, in which
  GCC 11.2 fully works and is now in the build matrix (earlier it had
  odd problems linking binaries after the compilation).
* openbsd-amd64 and openbsd-mips64 have been upgraded from OpenBSD 7.2
  to 7.3, without notable changes.
* linux-riscv64 now has Clang (15.0) in the build matrix, GCC has been
  upgraded from 11.3 to 12.1.
* On linux-armv7l Clang has been upgraded from 14.0 to 15.0 and GCC has
  been upgraded from 11.3 to 12.1.

Cheers.

--
    Denis Ovsienko