tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Autoconf with Debian patches

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:25:14 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 13:25:14 -0800
On Jan 4, 2023, at 2:30 PM, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

As some have experienced before, attempts to regenerate the configure
script often result in two groups of unnecessary changes (runstatedir
and LARGE_OFF_T), both of which come from Debian-specific patches to
Autoconf because traditionally the configure scripts were generated
using non-Debian Autoconf.  In practice this means that a regenerated
revision of a configure script almost always requires "git add -p"
instead of "git add".

This has been discussed in some detail in [1], and my understanding is
that making Debian Autoconf the new standard should make this problem
smaller (it certainly would in my development environment).  Would
anybody like to make their point for or against such a switch in one of
the next releases?

If we switch to making Debian Autoconf the new standard and keeping the generated configure script in the repository,
would that mean that developers working from the repository would either have to install Debian Autoconf or use "git
add -p" instead of "git add"?

--- End Message ---