tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: upcoming tcpslice release

From: Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:01:50 +0100

--- Begin Message --- From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:01:50 +0100
On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 15:21:42 -0700
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

On Oct 15, 2022, at 8:03 AM, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers
<tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

As it turns out, on Linux tcpslice currently fails to build with the
current master branch of libpcap.  This reproduces in all Linux CI
builds and also on my Ubuntu 20.04 PC.  The root cause seems to be
in libpcap via pcap-config:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsystemd
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

LIBS='../libpcap/libpcap.a -lnl-genl-3 -lnl-3  -ldbus-1 -lpthread
-lsystemd  '

Fixed in

commit 588f0bb996230a84a8cf10ddf30cc514e3ba5a68 (HEAD -> master,
[...]

Thank you Guy.

This should only be an issue for programs that link statically with
libpcap (libpcap.a) but don't link completely statically.  I don't
know if anything does that other than tcpdump (from which this change
was taken) and tcpslice, if they're building with a libpcap.a from a
libpcap source and build tree in the same parent directory as the
tcpdump/tcpslice source and build tree.

Is this semantics worth adding to pcap-config(1)?

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---