tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New DLT_ type request

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 10:22:57 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 10:22:57 -0800
On Jan 5, 2022, at 6:53 PM, Timotej Ecimovic <timotej.ecimovic () silabs com> wrote:

No. Like the document describes: tooling that deals with deframing is expected to remove the starting `[`, the ending
`]` and the 2 byte length right after the `[`.
In case of creating a PCAPNG file out of this stream, the payload of the packet blocks will NOT contain the framing.
So the "packet" starts with the debug message.

I.e., in LINKTYPE_SILABS_DEBUG_CHANNEL files, the packet doesn't include the '[', the length value, or the ']'?

What do the bits in the "Flags" field of the 3.0 debug message mean?  Does "few bytes of future-proofing flags" mean
that there are currently no flag bits defined, so that the field should always be zero, but there might be flag bits
defined in the future?
They mean. "Reserved for future use". The value currently can be arbitrary and until someone defines values for them,
they have no meaning. I'll make this more specific in the doc.

So is there something in the debug message to indicate whether the field has no meaning and should be ignored, or has a
meaning and should be interpreted?

--- End Message ---