tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: NetBSD breakage

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 15:38:34 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 15:38:34 -0700
On Aug 11, 2021, at 3:09 PM, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

The other matter is that the gencode.h/grammar.h pair works best when
it is included early.

Perhaps the gencode.h/grammar.h pair works best when it doesn't include grammar.h. :-)

I've checked in a change to remove the include of grammar.h from gencode.c; it builds without problems on macOS, and I
suspect it will build without problems everywhere, as what grammar.h defines are:

        1) the names for tokens (which may be done with an enum in a fashion that causes large amounts of pain if
another header you include helpfully - but uselessly, for our purposes - names for the machine's registers, and you are
unlucky enough to be compiling for a machine that has a register named "esp", causing a collision with the "esp" token
in pcap filter language for ESP; fortunately, such machines are rare :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-();

        2) a union of value types for all symbols in the grammar.

As far as I can tell, neither token names or values nor a value type union are passed to any of the gencode.c routines
called from grammar.y.  We *do* pass values for symbols, but we select the particular union member, rather than just
blindly passing the union as a whole.

So far, all the libpcap builds om www.tcpdump.org are green except for the Windows build, which is listed as pending;
it's about 2/3 of the way through the build matrix.

--- End Message ---