tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new LINKTYPE_* code LINKTYPE_AUERSWALD_LOG

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:37:31 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:37:31 -0800
On Feb 3, 2021, at 6:54 AM, developer--- via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

We would like to request a dedicated LINKTYPE_* / DLT_* code.
Auerswald is a major German telecommunications equipment manufacturer.
We have implemented the option to capture (combined) network traffic and logging information as pcap/pcapng in our
soon to be released new product line.

For development, we so far have used LINKTYPE_USER0 and would like to change this to a proper code before the
commercial release.

We also plan to publicly release the dissector and would like to make sure both can be released with a proper code
from the get go.
The dissector we currently use is however only in lua.

Our preferred name would be
LINKTYPE_AUERSWALD_LOG

If anyone is interested we can provide further information.

Please provide a detailed description of the packet format, sufficient to allow somebody to make a program such as
tcpdump, or Wireshark, or anything else that reads pcap or pcapng files.

--- End Message ---