tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [pcap-ng-format] draft-gharris-opsawg-pcap.txt --- IANA considerations

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 18:39:24 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 18:39:24 -0800
(Resent, from the correct address this time.)

On Dec 21, 2020, at 5:51 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf () sandelman ca> wrote:

The short of it is:

1) reserve bits 16:28 of linktype as zero.

In pcap files, presumably; you have only bits 0:15 in pcapng IDBs.

Note that the registry is for both pcap and pcapng, so the specs should say that.

2) lower 32K Specification Required (any document),
 upper 32K First Come First Served

Details:
The Registry has three sections according to {{RFC8126}}:
* values from 0 to 32767 are marked as Specification Required.
*   except that values 147 to 162 are reserved for Private Use
* values from 32768 to 65000 are marked as First-Come First-Served.
* values from 65000 to 65536 are marked as Private Use.

Presumably "to 65535" - 65536 doesn't fit in the 16-bit pcapng field.

So, for FCFS, does that mean anybody who wants a linktype can just grab one?

And, as per my idea of using 65535 to mean "custom linktype", similar to pcapng custom blocks and options, with either:

        the pcap file header/pcanng IDB option containing a Private Enterprise Number and private linktype number;

        the pcap file header/pcanng IDB option containing a Private Enterprise Number, with any linktype specifier
being in the link-level header;

        the Private Enterprise Number and anything else being in the link-level header;

should we reserver 65535?

I did some editing of the description field to shorten in a lot, but I got
tired about 30% through the list, not sure if we should even include that
column.
There are many entries like:
 LINKTYPE_PPP_ETHER                  |   51   |PPPoE; per RFC 2516

That one's there for NetBSD; I *think* the packet contains just a PPPoE header and payload.  I may have to dig into the
NetBSD code to see what they do.

--- End Message ---