tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [pcap-ng-format] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 21:01:19 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 21:01:19 -0700
On Oct 17, 2020, at 6:01 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

So is there anything we do to arrange that the "Current committed
version as ..." links on the GitHub repository home page work again?

Yes, there is a travis-ci process that generated the gh-pages.
I haven't done that yet.  It was slightly involved before, but it has gotten
significantly easier I'm told.  Travis-CI does the work.
Oops, it is now "Circle" (CI) that is going it:

  https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template/blob/main/doc/REPO.md
  _Automatic Update for Editor's Copy with Circle CI_

So, once that's done, there will be .xml files in the repository, built from the .md files?  (File, currently, but at
some point I'll convert the pcap spec to  kramedown-rfc2629 as well.)

Or is there some site that will run kramdown-rfc2629 on a Markdown file
and run xml2rfc on the result, along the lines of what
xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org does?  I haven't gotten

https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html#kramdown

to work - I tried pasting
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md
into the URL box, selecting "Window", and hitting Submit, but it didn't
seem to work, it just popped up a blank

generally, "gem install kramedown-rfc2629" is all you need to do.

Yes, that worked for me on macOS Catalina.  (I'm not sure whether Big Sur ships with Ruby or not; Apple wants to stop
shipping the scripting language interpreters - or, at least, the ones not required by Single UNIX Spec conformance -
probably because they don't want to be responsible for making it work *and* for keeping it up to date.  That's the
tradeoff with "OS vendor provides third-party software" - the good news is it's there without having to download it,
the bad news is that you may not be getting the latest version.)

But that means that I can generate the .xml files on my machine, for checking purposes.  I was trying to find a Web
server that could be handed a URL for a kramedown-rfc2629 document and that would return an HTML/PDF/txt version of the
document, for display in the browser, similar to what the xml2rfc server does for URLs pointing to an xml2rfc XML
document, so that we could add links to README.me.

--- End Message ---