tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 13:41:51 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 13:41:51 -0700
On Sep 28, 2020, at 12:06 PM, Michael Tuexen <tuexen () fh-muenster de> wrote:

On 28. Sep 2020, at 20:26, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf () sandelman ca> wrote:

internet-drafts () ietf org wrote:
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02

Hi, I have converted the xml to markdown.

Why? If we want to publish this, it will be published in xmlv3. So
better to use that format earlier...

There are tools to convert Markdown to v2 or v3 RFC XML:

        https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/

so:

        1) is it easier to edit Markdown or RFC XML?

        2) is Markdown rich enough to do everything we want to do?

For 2), I note that

        https://github.com/pcapng/pcapng/blob/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md

has a bunch of stuff that GitHub isn't treating as markup, such as the stuff prior to the "Introduction" heading, and
the tags such as "{::boilerplate bcp14}".  Is that an extension of Markdown not supported by GitHub's Markdown renderer
but supported by some Markdown-to-RFC XML converter, or incomplete parts of the RFC XML to Markdown conversion?

In addition, the XML version at

        https://github.com/pcapng/pcapng/blob/master/reference-draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.xml

has some additional Decryption Secrets Block secret formats.  Those have data formats that *themselves* call for
figures, and I'd been trying, at one point, to determine how to do that in RFC XML v2 format - it might require v3
format.  Can that be handled with Markdown?

--- End Message ---