tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLT for RFtap

From: George Hopkins via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 14:57:15 +0200

--- Begin Message --- From: George Hopkins <george-hopkins () null net>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 14:57:15 +0200
On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 01:16:03PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

I think that I fail to understand some subletie in the question.
I think that RFtap is essentially a new DLT which happens to be able to
include other DLT inside of it?

Yes, specifically I was looking for a pre-built way to store the
frequency offset and signal power of packets received over a custom
radio interface. RFtap would fit these requirements and is already
supported by Wireshark.

pcapng has a better solution to that, but I respect that it isn't ubiquitous
yet. (I blame myself really)

I'm not opposed to using pcapng for this purpose, I just looked for the
easiest way possible. Would you mind giving me a hint how to do store it
in pcapng? As far as I understood the specifications the information
could be stored as a (custom) option in an Enhanced Packet Block. Is
there a better/already specified way to do it?

--- End Message ---