tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: decode MPLS-contained packets?

From: Gert Doering via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 14:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

--- Begin Message --- From: Gert Doering <gert () greenie muc de>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 20:37:51 +0200
Hi,

On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 07:28:28PM +0200, Francois-Xavier Le Bail wrote:
On 05/05/2020 12:15, Gert Doering via tcpdump-workers wrote:
In my case, there is an MPLS control word before the ethernet header
("0000 0000"), and if I skip that and just clear "ethernet in here", I
get nicely printed packets...

It seems it is like:

Can you confirm?

This very much looks like it, indeed.

So, given that the first 16 bits are "4 bit always 0, and 12 bits
reserved-must-be-set-to-0", using these as heuristics for "if two 0-bytes
are following the MPLS headers, it's a control word, so we skip 4 bytes
and the rest is a regular Ethernet packet" should work.

Thanks for digging up that reference :)

gert
--

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert () greenie muc de

--- End Message ---