tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Requesting DLT_* values for Ethernet switches proprietary tagging protocol

From: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 18:01:44 -0800

Le 1/17/19 à 5:24 PM, Guy Harris a écrit :
On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli () gmail com> wrote:

These Ethernet adapters can be regular/normal Ethernet adapters, e.g:
e1000e/igb/ixgbe on a PC connected to an Ethernet switch via GMII (for
data path), and controlled by that PC through GPIO/SPI/I2C/MDIO for
instance. If the switch is an external die/package then if you looked at
frames between that NIC and the switch, you would see the tag, but that
would require you snooping the wires between these two dies. If the
switch is internal, things are not visible obviously.

These Ethernet switch tags *never* go out to front-panel/RJ45
connectors, they remain within the Ethernet switch logic and get
processed internally and stripped, and then regular Ethernet frames go
out these RJ45 connectors, a similar operation applies in the other
direction (ingress).

OK, so it sounds as if:

      1) the special ports on which the new DLT_ values would be used would *always* get packets with the tags
corresponding to the switch type, and would *never* get regular Ethernet packets *or* DOCSIS packets from a Cisco
CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System);

      2) regular Ethernet ports would *never* get packets with switch tags.

If so, that means that that:

      1) the special ports should have only *one* DLT_ value - the one corresponding to the switch type;

      2) other Ethernet ports should just get DLT_EN10MB and DLT_DOCSIS.

Correct. The other ports are exposed as regular Ethernet network devices.

OK, then requesting 10 DLT values, one per-tag is reasonable?

Yes.

I see that you answered on the pull request that I pasted the link for,
thanks for doing that.

Cheers
--
Florian