tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Metamako DLT Request

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:46:20 -0700

On Jul 23, 2018, at 6:36 PM, David Mirabito <davidm () metamako com> wrote:

We'd like to request a new DLT_ value for Metamako's packet capture trailer
that is generated by our MetaWatch network application.

     https://www.metamako.com/applications/metawatch-app.html

It is a variable length data trailer, appended immediately after an
original Ethernet Payload. It is backwards-compatible with DLT_EN10MB but
adds additional fields after the original frame payload until the
end-of-frame marker.

We were thinking something like this

   LINKTYPE_METAMAKO_TRAILER --> DLT_METAMAKO_TRAILER

Is there anything in particular that you require?

A detailed description of the format of the trailer.

Presumably, for Ethernet packets with a type field, the trailer can't be found until the payload is dissected, because
there's no other way to determine how large the payload is.

Also, presumably, the trailer comes after any padding, and there's no FCS in these packets.