tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Update configure for libpcap

From: Jan Stary <hans () stare cz>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 12:07:17 +0200

On Jul 11 10:27:50, gharris () sonic net wrote:
On Jul 11, 2018, at 4:22 AM, Petr Vorel <pvorel () suse cz> wrote:
Libpcap's configure script is outdated.
Although I'd prefer remove configure from git

+1

We have CMake support, so, as far as I'm concerned, getting autotools to work on Windows is Somebody Else's Problem,
and if Somebody Else cares about it, they can figure out how to make it work (without breaking it on UN*X!)

Exactly.

I would *personally* prefer that we not have generated configure files in Git and require that autoconf be run (or,
if it needs to be run with particular arguments, supply an autopen.sh file and require that it be run); if anybody
has an argument against it, let us know.

The ./configure script does need to be generated in the first place.
I would very much preffer we have a simple, hand-written ./configure,
and avoid the GNU auto* hell altogether, much like e.g. the extremely
portable http://mandoc.bsd.lv/ does.

Would the libpcap developers kindly consider this?
I am willing to do the work.