tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2 implementation (libpcap & tcpdump)

From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:07:43 +0100

[1] https://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes/LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL2.html
[2] https://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes/LINKTYPE_LINUX_SLL.html
[3] https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/issues/127

JFYI, I remember the beginning of this story from January 2015 well. Paul Evans suggested the original idea and he was
going to implement it in code. I did not understand why he specified SLL2 so clearly but didn't implement it, so about
a year ago I made an attempt to get some running code along those lines, and I was _not_ successful at that. SLL2 may
be one of those problems that are easy to state but difficult to solve, so I would suggest to focus on a working
prototype first, then the required props around it can be added as necessary. So far it is a well documented solution
that does not exist.

--
    Denis Ovsienko