tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_inject change?

From: Steve Bourland <sbourland () swri edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:00:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018, Michael Richardson wrote:

Steve Bourland <sbourland () swri edu> wrote:
   > are captured, if called with size argument 60, 74 are captured).  On
   > matching hardware under Ubuntu 16.04 (libpcap 1.7.4), pcap_inject with
   > size 50 results in 60 bytes on the wire (expected minimum packet size)
   > and the padding is all zeros. Both machines are using the same Intel
   > e1000e driver versions (3.2.6-k).  Has anyone else seen this or have a
   > workaround?

It sounds like different kernel packet capture mechanisms are being used.
The pcap_lib_version string will tell you what's compiled in, but not which
one is used. (TPACKET3 vs 2, etc.)

There was no way in earlier versions of libpcap to even know which was used.
I thought we had a way in 1.9, but I can't find it... so I think that I'm
wrong, I'm just remembering that we discussed that we should?

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

I'm a little confused, why would the capture mechanism matter for the pcap_inject call? I am capturing both senders packets on the same machine (a single tcpdump call). I was thinking my next move would be to grab the 18.04 kernel and install it on the 16.04 machine to see if that triggers the behavior on the 16.04 machine.