tcpdump mailing list archives

pcap_offline_read return value

From: Martin Dubuc <martind1111 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:53:31 -0500

I was testing some of the libpcap API and would like to get some
clarification on the return value of one of the function. Is pcap_dispatch
supposed to return the number of packets read/processed? In my sample code,
it always return 0. I tried to trace the code execution and found out that
pcap_offline_read returned 0 instead of packet count if the return
value comes from executing the following block:

    status = p->next_packet_op(p, &h, &data);
    if (status) {
        if (status == 1)
            return (0);
        return (status);
    }

p->next_packet_op translates to pcap_next_packet and this function returns
0 on success or 1 if there are no more packets. In both cases, 0 will be
returned.

This is the case in both 1.7.4 and 1.8.1.

Is this intended?

Martin