tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new DLT for RFTAP

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:00:09 -0700

On Aug 31, 2016, at 11:49 AM, Jonathan Brucker <jonathan.brucke () gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
On Aug 31, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Jonathan Brucker <jonathan.brucke () gmail com> wrote:

RFtap is here to bridge this gap, for all protocols.

That's exactly why I don't like its current design!

Can we please kill off the idea of meta-data headers that contain link-layer header types, so that you have a
LINKTYPE_/DLT_ value where the packet payload could have extremely different protocol link-layer header types, now
and forever?

Now, if you want to provide the *measured* information in a protocol-independent fashion, a better way, that doesn't
have the "LINKTYPE_ value says nothing whatsoever about the actual link-layer protocol" problem, we could have
*multiple* LINKTYPE_ values, for "RFtap followed by Radiotap followed by 802.11" and "RFtap followed by GSMTAP
followed by GSMTAP payload" and so on.

We could split the 32-bit value of LINKTYPE

It's a 16-bit value in pcapng:

http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.xml&modeAsFormat=html/ascii&type=ascii#rfc.section.4.2

so you don't have 32 bits to use.

The cross section of BPF users and RFtap users may be empty.
RFtap is more oriented towards higher-level tools such as Wireshark
and Scapy.

You are aware that Wireshark, at least, uses libpcap/WinPcap to capture, and therefore uses BPF when capturing?  I'm
not sure about Scapy, but it might support libpcap filters as well.

Sure, I meant users that actually use the *filters* in BPF. For higher
level tools, BPF is mostly used just a conduit, with a filter to
accept all packets.
The RFtap the filtering is expected to be done mostly using Wireshark
dissectors or Scapy dissectors.

Actually, the Wireshark developers expect people to do libpcap-layer filtering when using Wireshark, and often
recommend doing it.