tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Is it OK to rename the MSVC project name from "libpcap" to "wpcap"?

From: Yang Luo <hsluoyb () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 08:56:25 +0800

Hi Guy,

Thanks! Then I will rename the MSVC project files later if you didn't do
that.

Cheers,
Yang

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 8:21 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Jun 25, 2016, at 8:01 AM, Yang Luo <hsluoyb () gmail com> wrote:

We know that the libpcap Windows version is called "wpcap", including
the project files names (wpcap.sln, wpcap.vcxproj) and the library name
(wpcap.dll). But the current libpcap trunk project is called "libpcap.sln",
and the built executable is named as "libpcap.dll".

Is it OK to rename the MSVC project name from "libpcap" to "wpcap"?

Ideally, WinPcap would just have called it "pcap.dll", rather than
"wpcap.dll", for consistency with UN*X.

(The "lib" at the beginning of library names is a UNIX convention, which
all UN*Xes - including the ones not based on AT&T code - have adopted; if
you want to link with a library called "foo", you link with "-lfoo", and
that searches for "libfoo.a" (static library) and, on systems that support
dynamic linking, "libfoo.so" or "libfoo.dylib" or "libfoo.sl" or whatever
the UN*X you're on uses for shared/dynamic libraries.)

In that case, the Windows files would begin with just "pcap", and that
would be the project name.

However, they didn't, so, for backwards compatibility, we need to call the
library "wpcap", rather than "pcap", when building on Windows.

I've updated the CMakeLists.txt file to do so.  The MSVC project files -
if we continue to provide them at all - should be updated to do so as well.