tcpdump mailing list archives

Need precompiled source files in libpcap

From: Yang Luo <hsluoyb () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:58:01 +0800

Hi list,

I'm starting to look at the libpcap code, and want to integrate its latest
code into Npcap (https://github.com/nmap/npcap), a fork of WinPcap library.

I found that there are a lot of “precompiled source code files"
like grammar.c, scanner.c, grammar.h, ,scanner.h, etc. (which are also
listed in .gitignore). They are NOT contained in the libpcap repo.

I personally want to ship them in the "Win32-Extensions" folder of the
Npcap repo, so the Npcap developers can just build the "libpcap.sln"
project with one click, and will get the wpcap.dll.

Do you think this is a good idea? Or Windows developers should also build
everything from the bottom?

I noticed this docs:
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/blob/master/INSTALL.txt, and
it seems to require to run "./configure" (a shell script), which is for
Linux. So I think there's no Windows alternative config command for now?
And installing flex and bison for Windows are not also very friendly. And I
think those source files are less likely to change as frequently as other
sources. I think just ship them in Npcap repo will be a good idea?

Any suggestions? If this is OK, then please mail me the latest precompiled
source files, or just release them in GitHub Releases page. Thanks!

Cheers,
Yang