tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Link type FlexRay

From: Guenter Ebermann <guenter.ebermann () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:35:19 +0100

On Jan 15, 2016, at 10:44 AM, Guenter Ebermann <guenter.ebermann () googlemail com> wrote:

I don't know whether Hannes still works at X2E.  You might want to try sending an e-mail to him asking whether a
format for DLT_FLEXRAY was ever defined - and, if it has, asking him to send me a copy so that I can add it to the
link-layer header types page:

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

(and, if any of the *others* were defined, to send those to me as well).

If mail to him bounces, you could try contacting X2E to see if that information is available, or if they ever
supporting writing out files in pcap or pcapng format.

If they never wrote files out with a link-layer header type of 210 for DLT_FLEXRAY/LINKTYPE_FLEXRAY, then you can use
it for your own purposes - send us the spec and I'll add it to the link-layer header types page.

If they did, but they don't tell you what format they use, we can create a new LINKTYPE_/DLT_ value for your format,
and provide a public specification for that one.

I asked Hannes about DLT_FLEXRAY.
He told me that they currently dont use pcap for FlexRay and have only
used it in a limited scenario and that we are free to change the
layout.
The format represented the bitsream from the bus 1:1 without an
additional header.
The only deviation was the padding: the data was padded to align to 4
byte boundaries.

This is my suggestion for an extension:

I want to extend the frame by a "measurement-header": This header is
added by the measurement device. It contains one bit for the FlexRay
channel (A or B), a "data-type" enumeration and error-flags.

Error-flags will be all kind of decoding errors which may be detected
during capture of a FlexRay frame. That is: TSS, FSS, BSS, or FES
violations. Header CRC or Frame CRC errors and all kind of
"short-item-counts" that is, if not all bytes of the frame-bitstream
could be captured.

One enum-value of the "data-type" will be for a "data-frame", whereas
a data frame would have exactly the same coding as on the FlexRay bus.

The second enum-value of the "data-type" will be a "flexray-symbol",
which contains the bitlength information of the captured FlexRay
symbol (used for CAS and Wakeup).

BR
Günter