tcpdump mailing list archives

tablets in hotel rooms

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 13:53:49 -0500

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/40505.html

        "I managed to borrow a couple of USB ethernet adapters, set up a
        transparent bridge (brctl addbr br0; brctl addif br0 enp0s20f0u1;
        brctl addif br0 enp0s20f0u2; ifconfig br0 up) and then stuck my
        laptop between the tablet and the wall. tcpdump -i br0 showed
        traffic, and wireshark revealed that it was Modbus over TCP. Modbus
        is a pretty trivial protocol, and notably has no authentication
        whatsoever. tcpdump showed that traffic was being sent to
        172.16.207.14, and pymodbus let me start controlling my lights,
        turning the TV on and off and even making my curtains open and
        close. What fun! "

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [