tcpdump mailing list archives

pcap_next_ex() and pcap_dump() performance decreases over time...

From: barcaroller <barcaroller () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:48:48 -0400

I've been running performance tests against pcap_next_ex() and pcap_dump(). I've placed micro-second timers around both functions and sent millions of packets to my test programs.

Both functions performed admirably over a short period of time (up to 8 Gbits/sec) but, as time progressed, both functions became increasingly slower until the data rate dropped to 200 Mbits/sec.

Please note that the two functions become slower even when I read/wrote new pcap files (i.e. I would close a pcap file and start reading/writing a new PCAP file, but the performance still remained low). At no time did the size of these pcap files exceed 100MB. Only when I re-started the test programs did the performance go up again. It's as if there is a process-wide global resource, independent of the pcap files, that gets used up by pcap_next_ex() and pcap_dump() as the process is running.

Does anyone know how to explain this?