tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump] New feature to limit capture file size (#464)

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () netbsd org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:35:17 +1000

On 10/06/2015 5:42 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
re: https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/pull/464 Guy writes:
We have the -C option, giving a file size in megabytes (real megabytes, i.e. 1,000,000 bytes, not 1,048,576 bytes); once the file gets that big, tcpdump switches to a new file. This adds another file size option, with a different syntax for the size option, and with tcpdump stopping rather than rotating files when it reaches that size. We also have the -G option, to rotate files based on time rather than size. We might want to consider cleaning up these options a bit, so that we can specify "stop" vs. "rotate" and "file size" rather than "capture time" independently.
thoughts? I'm happy to accept the patch once sane, and then clean it up as Guy suggests.

Maybe it is time to work out how this should interact now...

Why is there even a need to have -G and -C?
Aren't both really just the same feature? (file rotation)
But with a different parameter?
Why can't it be "-C 1h,500M"? (rotate after 500M or 1h)
... and so on.

I think the "We might want to..." paragraph is right but that more thought
is needed.

Darren