tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: TPACKET_V3 support added big packet delivery delay and/or affected timestamps

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 03:34:57 -0800

On Dec 5, 2014, at 3:15 AM, Thomas Habets <thomas () habets se> wrote:

On 4 December 2014 at 20:01, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
If your program needs to have packets delivered as soon as they arrive, it should, if the version of libpcap with
which it's being built has the pcap_set_immediate_mode() API

Thanks. I switched to the pcap_create() API from pcap_open_live() (my
code predates pcap_create()) and set immediate mode, and that did it.

I'd move the BIOCIMMEDIATE call into try_pcap_open_live(), and do it if

        1) BIOCIMMEDIATE is defined and

        2) either a) you don't have pcap_create() or b) you do but don't have pcap_set_immediate_mode()

as you don't have to use it on BPF systems that *do* have pcap_set_immediate_mode() as that call will do it for you
(or, rather, will cause it to be done at pcap_activate() time).