tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: bpf.tcpdump.org vs github

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:38:58 -0800

On Nov 24, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

okay, can we start again.
I would appreciate some clear data and clear complaints.

This is what I heard:
    a) which is "master", bpf or github?
    b) bpf is unreliable.
    c) there is some issue (please explain more) with bpf.tcpdump.org experiencing auto-merging difficulties.
    d) this CVE process has been botched (I said this, and I take responsability for this)

        e) for whatever reason, changes being checked into bpf.tcpdump.org haven't recently been getting pushed
to/pulled by GitHub.

If that were fixed, that might help with issue a).

There's also

        f) fixes checked into GitHub (including pull requests) have to be manually pulled to bpf.tcpdump.org, and the
people checking them in aren't always doing that at the time they check fixes in

and fixing that might also help with issue a).  I don't know what the issues are in c), so I don't know whether that'd
help there.

I'll let others address b).