tcpdump mailing list archives

Huge latency increase libpcap-1.4.0 -> libpcap-1.5.3

From: Steve Bourland <sbourland () swri edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:17:50 -0600 (CST)

I have some programs that suffered terrible performance degradation when moving from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04. Originally I blamed Ubuntu 14.04 for the performance hit and simply stuck with 12.04, however when I updated libpcap to support hardware timestamps, the performance degraded again. I then reduced the problem to a program that simple returned ICMP ECHO replies when requests were received. Under 12.04, this program works very well (with reported responses from ping of under 500 usec), however, if I point the libpcap.so files to the downloaded version 1.5.3 (originally tested with 1.6.2 and problem seen there as well), the response times jump to sometimes over 100 msec. Similarly, if I run the program on Ubuntu 14.04 I see response times well over 10 msec (and actually miss many requests). If I simply replace the links to libpcap.so.1.5.3 with links to libpcap.so.1.4.0 the responses return to sub 300 usec. Is this behavior expected? Do I need to redo my pcap handle setup if moving from libpcap-1.4.0 to libpcap-1.5.3 (or libpcap-1.6.2)? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Any troubleshooting I can do to help out?
                                        Thanks,
                                          Steve