tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: code available: netmap support for libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:05:39 -0800

On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo () iet unipi it> wrote:

this can be used to plumb things together.

If you want to plumb things together, do you need libpcap?

Say you want to interconnect two VMs,

Why would I use libpcap for that?

or a traffic generator and a firewall/ids/monitor
that you want to test for performance, etc.

But wouldn't I create a netmap pipe using something other than libpcap, and only use libpcap if I want to watch the
traffic on that pipe?

I.e., what would be lost if, for example, libpcap only supported capturing on existing netmap devices, and didn't
support creating new ones on the fly?