tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: PROFIBUS link-type

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 17:04:28 -0800

On Jan 1, 2014, at 5:29 AM, Simon Berg <ksb () fluffware se> wrote:

I've written some capturing tools and a basic Wireshark dissector for
the PROFIBUS protocol. Since it's delivered directly over a RS485-link,
it needs a separate link-type. Since I haven't been able to find a
suitable type among the existing ones, I'd like to request one being
allocated.

The format is the full packets as described in IEC 61158 (61158-4-3 more
precisely).

So "full" presumably means that:

        the first octet of a packet is the start delimiter for the packet (the start delimiter appears not to have a
single standard value for all packets, so it appears that it can't be elided without loss of information);

        it also includes the end delimiter for asynchronous transmission, and all the octets between the delimiters,
including the FCS octet, exactly as they appear on the wire.