tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump vs libpcap : CPU usage shooting high for two simultaneous captures on wireless monitor interfaces

From: abhinav narain <abhinavnarain10 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 23:03:28 -0400

Hi Guy,
Thanks for clearing this

It does absolutely nothing whatsoever to discover whether there are other
versions of tcpdump are running.

Ok

Am I right to say that the two processes spin on some shared resource ?

Given that I don't know what routines in the programs or libraries they
use are running when they're consuming that CPU time, I have absolutely no
idea whether you're right or not to say that.  That's why I wanted the
profiling data - so that we *know* what routines are consuming the CPU
time, not just *guessing*.

I understand your point, but unfortunately I am unable to provide you the
information.

Can you show us the source code to the parts of your program that make
libpcap calls?

thanks for taking the pains to have a look at the code.
The line has the pcap handle return.
https://github.com/abnarain/wifi_dump-tmpfs/blob/master/mac-darktest.c#L782

I have modified the mac80211 to send me radiotap info with extra
information, and hence i check to
see the radiotap header length to differentiate between the packet and copy
the various parts of
buffer into a separate table, write it to a file and ship it from the
router.

The other fancy thing which I am doing is setting a SIGPROCMASK to capture
alarms
to get to a handler which writes into the file every x minute(and if the
table is full)

This file only deals with the pcap code.
-
Abhinav