tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: scan_sys_class_net bug in pcap-linux.c

From: Paul Sheer <paulsheer () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 20:54:11 -0600

!strcmp(ent->d_name, "bonding_masters")) continue;

No.

That wires in a particular name, and when the *next* weird file gets added
by some future kernel revision, we won't handle it, and would end up wiring
in another name, lather, rinse, repeat.

Instead, it should ignore "." and "..", ignore all *plain files* (rather
than directories), and check whether there's a "subsystem" item underneath
the item (just in case there are directories, or symlinks that point to
directories, in there that *don't* correspond to devices, either now or in
the future).

Hmmm

i recall on some systems they are symlinks not directories

what about if they don't contain "subsystem" in the future?  or older
kernel versions that don't contain "subsystem" (do they?) ?   or future
versions that add subsystem to bonding_masters?

i agree with the impetus of what you are saying, I just don't know where
one would draw the line as to what CAN change and what CANNOT change

and your line seems just as arbitrary

actually i've had these very similar arguments a few times before --

do you see a general principle?

-paul