tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Missing IPv6 ICMPv6 Neighbor Solicitation with

From: Paul Sheer <paulsheer () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:26:19 -0600

There is a need.

Actually I found the answer to this, as below.

Would anyone consider adding this support to libpcap: i.e. a new
member within pcap_opt ?

Under Linux you have to explicitly enable support for "all multicast" packets.
libpcap does not have an option for this, but it can be done as follows by using
the ethernet file descriptor:

older kernels:

                ifr.ifr_flags |= IFF_ALLMULTI;
                ioctl(handle->fd, SIOCSIFFLAGS, &ifr) ...

new kernels

                mr.mr_type    = PACKET_MR_ALLMULTI;
                setsockopt(sock_fd, SOL_PACKET, PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, &mr ...

I assume the reason one has to do this is because multicast support
happens within the driver (and IPv6's intention to make use of such existing
hardware support for its neighbor disc). *shrug*

-paul