tcpdump mailing list archives

why libpcap cannot capture outbound 802.11 beacons?

From: Yifan Zhang <ivan39389 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:27:33 -0400

Hello all,

I am writing my own program, which will be running on a 802.11 AP, to capture all the outgoing beacons on the AP. But I
just noticed I cannot do it with the current libpcap: the program couldn't capture any outbound beacons. I've also
tried Wireshark which gave the same result.

My questions are:
1. Can anyone shed some lights on the causes of what I saw?
2. Is there any user space method that I can capture the outbound beacons of a 802.11 AP on that specific AP (rather
than capturing on other PCs)? It is better for me if I can do this without hacking into the wireless driver.

Thanks, folks.

-ivan
                                          -
This is the tcpdump-workers list.