tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump and BPF filters

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:41:09 -0700

On Jul 10, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Geoffrey Sisson wrote:

It's for walking through some variable-length fields, and involves
iteratively using values in the packet as offsets for successive loads.

I don't think the filter language supports it,

and my initial sense is that it would be hard to extend it to do this.

There are definitely places where the code generated for expressions uses values in the packet as offsets; even if you
ignore the variable-length IP header, there is, for example, the variable-length 802.11 header, as well as the
variable-length radio metadata headers that can precede the 802.11 header.

What sort of variable-length fields are you processing?-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.